Have you ever thought about how non-decimal our system of time is?
- One minute is sixty seconds
- One hour is sixty minutes, or 3,600 seconds
- One day is divided in to two twelve hour periods
- There are seven days in a week
- Each month contains a different number of days
In an otherwise completely decimal world, this can be difficult to understand for many children. In the transfer test, your child will be asked to complete several types of calculations surrounding time and date. The most fundamental of these is adding two times together.
The process for completing these is…
- Add the minutes.
- Add the hours.
- If the minutes total exceeds 60, for each multiple of 60 that you subtract, add one to the hours total.
Didn’t think this was a total waste of time? Then tell your Facebook friends.